Last updated 22/03/2022
What’s been done so far?
Two Roma churches in Sabinov and Pavlovce have been:
- Welcoming refugees at the border, organising transport, hosting refugees at a community centre where they can sleep, shower, do laundry and receive meals.
- Sending food over the border to Ukraine to support Roma churches there who are receiving refugees from other parts of Ukraine and hosting them.
So far they have helped approximately 500-600 people. They offer help to any refugee from Ukraine but a big proportion they’ve received are from Roma background because unfortunately Roma refugees have not been welcomed or treated well due to discrimination and prejudice.
What’s the plan going forward?
Churches from different denominations have formed a team to work together and to find the best way to serve the refugees.
- They’ve set up a tent at the border as a reception point before taking the refugees to accommodation.
- They’ve rented 15 rooms at a hotel near the border to host refugees for a number of nights before they move farther west. They provide food, clothes, hygiene products and medicine. They try to serve the needs holistically, covering physical, emotional and spiritual needs. There’s a small hall at the hotel where people who want prayer support can receive it.
- They will continue sending food to Ukraine to support the Roma churches who are welcoming refugees there.
What are the current needs?
Funds for ongoing rent of the hotel space (they will keep this up for as long as needed), food supplies, hygiene products.
What can we pray for?
- For more volunteers to help at the border and at the hotel
- For good management of the helpers
How can we send help?
Funds can be sent to:
IBAN: SK43 0900 0000 0051 6858 7872
Please use reference UKRAINE on the fund transfer.
For more information please contact +421 944 395 195, available via WhatsApp.
For those giving from the US, please click the button below and fill out the form. Please use reference “Refugee Response – Slovakia”. Your gift will be distributed accordingly.
To read refugee relief efforts happening in other countries where our partners are serving, please go to our Ukraine Refugee Relief page.