Last updated 22/03/2022
What’s been done so far?
Hungarian Gypsy Missions International (HGMI) has been welcoming and hosting refugees at 20 community centres, providing food and other essential needs.
FIDA International, in cooperation with HGMI, has been visiting different border checkpoints, assessing the situation, making connection with authorities at the border, arranging transport, and taking refugees to their accommodation.
They offer help to any refugee from Ukraine but a big proportion they’ve received are from Roma background, because unfortunately Roma refugees are not welcomed or treated well due to discrimination or prejudice.
What’s the plan going forward?
HGMI is working on a long-term plan to support refugees who are staying and settling in Hungary (those who are not moving on farther west). The plan includes:
- Mobilising coordinators – those who will be helping refugees to apply for asylum, jobs, and schooling for the children; doctor visits, and other administration needs.
- Activities and resources for early childhood education for children of refugees.
- Remedial education and language courses.
What are the current needs?
- More people to volunteer as coordinators
- Toys and educational resources for children
- 2x mini buses to transport refugees, supplies, and medical assistance
- Internet access at the community centres – refugees can only keep in touch with their loved ones left behind in Ukraine (husbands and sons mandated for military service) via the internet
What can we pray for?
- For the refugees, especially the mothers and wives, for the emotional burden they have to carry, while being separated from their loved ones.
- That the volunteers can meet the need of refugees holistically and with wisdom.
How can we send help?
Funds can be sent to:
IBAN (EUR): HU39 1176 3330 3316 8881 0000 0000
IBAN (USD): HU97 1176 3330 3316 9019 0000 0000
Please write ‘Ukraine’ in the reference.
Please contact +36 30 180 5789 for more information.
For those giving from the US, please click the button below and fill out the form. Please use reference “Refugee Response – Hungary”. Your gift will be distributed accordingly.
To read refugee relief efforts happening in other countries where our partners are serving, please go to our Ukraine Refugee Relief page.